A midwife going to a labour [graphic] / Rowlandson del.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > A midwife going to a labour [graphic] / Rowlandson del.
- A midwife going to a labour [graphic] / Rowlandson del.
- Alternative Title
- Teggs caricatures ; no. 55
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1811 February 12
- Copyright Date
- [12 February 1811]
- Publication Place
- Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside
"A fat elderly woman walks (left to right) over rough cobbles, in the teeth of a strong wind against a deluge of rain; her contour is global and fills the greater part of the design. She holds a lighted lantern and clutches a bottle of cordial and a bundle. She wears a hooded cloak, a flat straw hat over a white cap, and pattens. Near her (right) runs a shivering little chimney-sweep, bare-legged, and carrying his tools and soot-bag; he is shouting or 'crying the streets' for custom. Behind her (left) is an aged watchman, leaning with folded arms on the front of his watch-box, asleep. His lighted lantern hangs above his head."--British Museum online catalogue.
"Price one shilling."--Following imprint.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 33.6 x 23.7 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 9, no. 11795
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 199
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)