Cat in a bowl [graphic] / Rowlandson del.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Cat in a bowl [graphic] / Rowlandson del.
- Cat in a bowl [graphic] / Rowlandson del.
- Alternative Title
Rural sports ; no. 1
Rural sports. Cat in a bowl.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Johnstone, Henry Arthur--Ownership.
Tegg, Thomas, 1776-1845, publisher.
- Copyright Date
- [not before 24 April 1811]
- Publication Place
"Scene by a roadside pond opposite a picturesque inn (right). A few country-people watch a distressed cat in a bowl which floats precariously. An angry old woman strides into the water to rescue the animal, but is restrained by a friend. Other spectators watch with amused delight; they wear holiday finery, imitating fashionable dress. A boy, holding back a dog, and a girl sit together on the bank. A young couple in a gig at the inn-door watch the cat. Behind the pond (left) a tandem runs away overturning a gig."--British Museum online catalogue.
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, pages 205-6.
Plate from: Woodward, G.M. Caricature magazine, or Hudibrastic mirror. London : Thomas Tegg, [1808?], v. 2.
Plate numbered "69" in upper right corner.
Publication information inferred from earlier state with the imprint "Pubd. April 24, 1811, by Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside." Cf. Lewis Walpole Library call no.: 811.04.24.01.1+.
Reissue; imprint has been completely burnished from plate.
Series title precedes print title below image; series numbering follows print title.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.8 x 35 cm, on sheet 25.6 x 41.8 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 9, no. 11785
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)