A milk sop [graphic] / Rowlandson del.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > A milk sop [graphic] / Rowlandson del.
- A milk sop [graphic] / Rowlandson del.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [not before 15 December 1811]
- Publication Place
"A scene in a College cloister, indicated by a wall and Gothic vaulting. A pretty and buxom girl carrying milk-pails suspended from a yoke is embraced by a young man in cap, gown, and bands who leans towards her through a casement window. She disregards her milk-pails; one, containing two infants, tilts upwards, the other, full of milk, correspondingly descends and a spaniel greedily laps the milk. On the extreme left a lean elderly parson, hideous and grotesque, similarly dressed, watches intently."--British Museum online catalogue, description of an earlier state.
"Price one shilling coloured."
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 216.
Plate from: Woodward, G.M. Caricature magazine, or Hudibrastic mirror. London : Thomas Tegg, [1808?], v. 2.
Plate numbered "125" in upper right corner.
Publication information inferred from earlier state with the imprint "Pubd. December 15th, 1811, by Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside." Cf. No. 11784 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 9.
Reissue; imprint has been completely burnished from plate.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 35.1 x 25 cm, on sheet 41.8 x 25.6 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)