The Harmonic Society [graphic] / Rowlandson del. 1811.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > The Harmonic Society [graphic] / Rowlandson del. 1811.
- The Harmonic Society [graphic] / Rowlandson del. 1811.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
- Copyright Date
- Publication Place
A dinner of mostly elderly men has dissolved into a brawl with wigs flying in every direction as they pummel each other with their fists or any tool at hand. In the center a man crawls on his hands and knees, blood pouring from both nostrils, his opponent ready to land him another blow. The one young man of the party dances merrily on top of the table flourishing a bowl in one hand and a spoon in the other as the dinnerware scatters in every direction.
A publication date of 1810 is given by Grego, who is perhaps describing an earlier state.
Possibly a reissue; the year in Rowlandson's signature appears to have been altered from "1810" to "1811." See British Museum catalogue.
Text below title: The assemblies of women are too frequently marked by malice to each other, and slander to the absent, the meetings of men by noise, inebriety and wrangling.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 28 x 39 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11645
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 195
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)