Hiring a servant [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Hiring a servant [graphic].
- Hiring a servant [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Johnstone, Henry Arthur--Ownership.
Tegg, Thomas, 1776-1845, publisher.
- Copyright Date
- Publication Place
- Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside
"An obese 'cit' and his wife sit side by side at a small round breakfast-table, facing a tall handsome young woman who stands before them. The wife, registering surprise, asks: "What Situation in my Family woud you wish to undertake Young Woman." She answers demurely: "Ma'am I should like to be under Your Man Cook by Way of Improvement." The 'cit', excited and angry, exclaims: "What's that you say I'll be D--nd If you shall be under my Man Cook or any other man in my house." The fat cook, outside the open door (right), laughs uproariously. A large fierce cat advances towards the girl. On the table are tea-things, a large urn, and boiled eggs."--British Museum online catalogue.
"Price one shilling cold."
Beginning of imprint, including date, has been removed from plate; date of publication from British Museum catalogue and Grego.
Plate from: Woodward, G.M. Caricature magazine, or Hudibrastic mirror. London : Thomas Tegg, [1808?], v. 2.
Plate numbered "124" in upper right corner.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25 x 35.1 cm, on sheet 25.6 x 41.8 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 9, no. 11815
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 220
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)