Macassar oil [graphic] : an oily puff for soft heads / Rowlandson del.
- Macassar oil [graphic] : an oily puff for soft heads / Rowlandson del.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [not before 15 May 1814]
- "An obese, elderly man, completely bald, sits in an arm-chair while a shopman pours oil from a bottle (straw-covered like a Chianti flask) on to his scalp, pressing down his head with the left hand. At his feet is a basin to receive the overflow. On the ground is a tall 'Fools Cap', with ears. Behind them stands a woman with a shock of red hair standing on end; she looks in horror at its reflection in a wall-mirror (right). On the wall above her head is a placard: 'Wonderful Discovery Carrotty or Grey Whiskers Changed to Black Brown or Blue--' High on the wall are shelves where bottles of the oil are closely ranged, one inscribed 'Wig Oil One Guinea Pr Bottle'. Behind the shopman (left) stands a big Ali Baba jar. Across the wall is a large placard inscribed: 'Macassar Oil, for the Growth of Hair is the finest invention ever known for encreasing hair on bald Places, Its virtues are pre-eminent for improving and beautifying the Hair of Ladies and Gentlemen--This invaluable Oil recommended on the basis of truth and experience is sold at One Guinea Pr Bottle by all the Perfumers and Medicine Venders in the Kingdom'."--British Museum online catalogue, description of an earlier state.
Also issued separately.
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 284.
Later state; former plate number "316" has been replaced with a new number, and imprint statement has been completely burnished from plate.
Plate from: Woodward, G.M. Caricature magazine, or Hudibrastic mirror. London : Thomas Tegg, [1808?], v. 4.
Plate numbered "265" in upper right corner.
Publication information inferred from earlier state with the imprint: Pubd. May 15th, 1814, by Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside. Cf. No. 12405 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 9.
Temporary local subject terms: Hair -- Macassar oil.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 34.8 x 25.4 cm, on sheet 37 x 27 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 13
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record