A smokey house and a scolding wife [graphic] / Rowlandson 1821.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > A smokey house and a scolding wife [graphic] / Rowlandson 1821.
- A smokey house and a scolding wife [graphic] / Rowlandson 1821.
- Alternative Title
- Smoky house and a scolding wife
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
- Copyright Date
- [May 1821]
"An elderly man and wife sit close together at a meagrely spread dinner-table. With hands folded, he bends his head in melancholy resentment, while his wife hectors, with right fist clenched, the left forefinger raised in admonition. He wears neat old-fashioned dress, she is a bare-bosomed trollope. On the table are only a tankard (by the woman), a fragment of loaf, one chop with knife and fork. Dark smoke is indicated as a background."--British Museum online catalogue.
Imperfect; sheet trimmed within plate mark on three sides, and publisher's name and address mostly erased from sheet. Complete imprint statement supplied from impression in the British Museum, registration no. 1935,0522.10.223.b.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 25.7 x 28.9 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 14
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 10, no. 14305
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 368
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)