Grace before meat, or, A peep at Lord Peter's [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Grace before meat, or, A peep at Lord Peter's [graphic].
- Grace before meat, or, A peep at Lord Peter's [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Peep at Lord Peter's
- Copyright Date
- [ca. November 1778]
- Publication Place
- W. M. Humphrey, No. 227 Strand
George III at table with the queen and seated between Lord and Lady Petre with nine other persons while a tall monk stands on the left saying grace. A crucifix and picture of a saint on the wall mark this as an anti-Catholic satire occasioned by the King's visit to Lord Petre in October of 1778 after the passing of the Catholic Relief Act.
Also attributed to Gillray.
Date from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.6 x 34.8 cm, on sheet 30 x 41 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 1
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1778.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Charlotte,--Queen, consort of George III, King of Great Britain,--1744-1818--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--III,--King of Great Britain,--1738-1820--Caricatures and cartoons.
Gillray, James, 1756-1815, attributed name.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
Petre, Robert Edward Petre,--Baron,--1742-1801--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Subject (Topic)
Clothing & dress--England--1770-1780.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5, no. 5489
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 28
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)