The monster, 1783 [graphic].
- The monster, 1783 [graphic].
- Boyne, John, approximately 1750-1810, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1783 April 2
- Copyright Date
- [2 April 1783]
- Publication Place
- W. Humphrey, No. 227 Strand
- A monstrous creature representing the new ministry (formed on the day of the publication of this print) is shown in the shape of a fox standing on its right hind leg, with eight heads and no fore legs. The central head on top is that of the Duke of Portland, surrounded by other ministerial candidates. Below the fox's raised tail are the heads of Lord North and Charles Fox; above the former issues a blast of air signed "Coalition." Below the design and on both sides of the title are ten verses beginning, "This many-headed Monster of the Land / At present on one Leg is seen to stand."
- Questionable attribution to John Boyne from British Museum catalogue.
- 1 print : etching, hand-colored ; sheet 29 x 23 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 1
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1783.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Auckland, William Eden,--Baron,--1744-1814--Caricatures and cartoons.
Burke, Edmund,--1729-1797--Caricatures and cartoons.
Carlisle, Frederick Howard,--Earl of,--1748-1825--Caricatures and cartoons.
Cavendish, John,--Lord,--1732-1796--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
Keppel, Augustus Keppel,--Viscount,--1725-1786--Caricatures and cartoons.
Mansfield, David Murray,--Earl of,--1727-1796--Caricatures and cartoons.
North, Frederick,--Lord,--1732-1792--Caricatures and cartoons.
Portland, William Henry Cavendish-Bentinck,--Duke of,--1738-1809--Caricatures and cartoons.
Richmond and Lennox, Charles Lennox,--Duke of,--1735-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5, no. 6203
- Orbis Record