The friendly agent [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > The friendly agent [graphic].
- The friendly agent [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1787 June 9
- Copyright Date
- [9 June 1787]
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, No. 3 Piccadilly
"Major Scott (right) hauls at a broad ribbon round Hastings's neck by which he is being drawn up to a gibbet. The ribbon, which passes over a pulley, is inscribed 'Defence of W. Hasti--gs Esqr'. To each of Hastings's feet a large money-bag is attached inscribed respectively 'Rupees' and 'Pagodas'. Hastings looks with terror towards an Indian with a noose round his neck who emerges from flames and smoke, saying, "I am Nuncomar's Spirit, Hast**gs - follow me!". Small demons in the flames show that Nuncomar is in Hell. The top of the gibbet is decorated with the mask of Burke looking towards Hastings with a satisfied smile. The King and Queen stand together on the left, mourning the fate of Hastings. The Queen is much caricatured as a lean hag, clasping her hands and turning up her eyes; she is pregnant. Under the King's arm is a large packet inscribed 'Bulse'. Hastings, Scott, and the King wear oriental dress with turbans, that of the King surmounted by a crown. In the background an oriental town is in ruins but flies the British flag; tiny corpses lie in front of the buildings, two of which are Chinese pagodas resembling the one at Kew."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on laid paper, hand-colored ; sheet 22.9 x 18.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1787.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Burke, Edmund,--1729-1797--Caricatures and cartoons.
Charlotte,--consort of George III, King of Great Britain,--1744-1818--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fores, S. W., publisher.
George--III,--King of Great Britain,--1738-1820--Caricatures and cartoons.
Hastings, Warren,--1732-1818--Caricatures and cartoons.
Nandakumara,--Mahārāja,--d. 1775--Caricatures and cartoons.
Scott,--Major--(John),--1747-1819--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7169
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)