The sick prince [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > The sick prince [graphic].
- The sick prince [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1787 June 16
- Copyright Date
- [16 June 1787]
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, No. 3 Piccadilly
"The Prince lies in bed, 'in extremis'; Thurlow, Pitt, and Richmond stand behind a curtain (right), the first with a dagger raised to strike, Pitt clutching a dagger. On the other side of the bed Liberty with her cap and staff clasps her hands in supplication for the preservation of the Prince; behind her stand Fox, Burke, North, and (?) Sheridan in similar attitudes. In the foreground (left) Time advances with his scythe towards the Prince; he has mown down a man who falls backwards holding on his shoulder a naked African with a broken spear (? Death). The African, about to fall, clutches the head of an apothecary seated on the ground. Rays of light fall diagonally on the Prince; clouds extend over him and his would-be assassins. Resting on the clouds is a scroll inscribed: '1800 \ Glory, \ Conquest, \ Submission of \ America - Perfidy of France \ respecting the Treaty'. Above the Prince's head are his feathers and 'Ich Dien'."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper ; plate mark 22.1 x 25.4 cm, on sheet 22.9 x 26.6 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1787.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Burke, Edmund,--1729-1797--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fores, S. W., publisher.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1762-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
North, Frederick,--Lord,--1732-1792--Caricatures and cartoons.
Pitt, William,--1759-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Richmond and Lennox, Charles Lennox,--Duke of,--1735-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Thurlow, Edward Thurlow,--Baron,--1731-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7170
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)