The bubbles of opposition [graphic].
- The bubbles of opposition [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1788 July 19
- Copyright Date
- pubd. July 19th, 1788.
- Publication Place
- "Fox (three quarter length), very obese, stands (left) blowing soap-bubbles from a long pipe, with an expression of calculating complacency; these contain heads of Lord John Townshend and other Foxites. He stands beside a tub of soap-suds (right), inscribed 'Coalition Washing Tub', in which are two heads with closed eyes, one (left) is North, the other is (?) Burke. It stands on a block of masonry inscribed 'Portland Stone' (Portland being the nominal leader of the Coalition). Beside the tub are piles of guineas, some arranged on a paper inscribed 'Devonshire Sope'. The head contained in the bubble which is leaving the bowl of the pipe is exploding; the smoke and flames are inscribed 'Towns End' showing that he is Lord John Townshend. The largest bubble contains a head of the Prince of Wales and is inscribed 'Ich dien'. Between this and Townshend's bubble are six others, containing the heads of Burke, the Duke of Portland, the Duke of Norfolk, Sheridan, Lord Stormont, and Hanger. In the upper left corner is another bubble containing the head of (?) Windham, while a bubble, the lower part only of which is visible, contains a mouth and cheek resembling those of Lord Carlisle in caricature."--British Museum online catalogue.
"Price 1 s."
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Publisher's name, faintly visible at end of imprint but illegible, appears to have been burnished from plate.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : aquatint & etching on wove paper ; sheet 34.0 x 21.9 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1788.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Burke, Edmund,--1729-1797--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1762-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
Hanger, George,--1751?-1824--Caricatures and cartoons.
Mansfield, David Murray,--Earl of,--1727-1796--Caricatures and cartoons.
Norfolk, Charles Howard,--Duke of,--1746-1815--Caricatures and cartoons.
North, Frederick,--Lord,--1732-1792--Caricatures and cartoons.
Portland, William Henry Cavendish-Bentinck,--Duke of,--1738-1809--Caricatures and cartoons.
Sheridan, Richard Brinsley,--1751-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Townshend, John,--Lord--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7342
- Orbis Record