A connoisseur examining a Cooper [graphic] / Js. Gy. del. et fecit ad vivam.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > A connoisseur examining a Cooper [graphic] / Js. Gy. del. et fecit ad vivam.
- A connoisseur examining a Cooper [graphic] / Js. Gy. del. et fecit ad vivam.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [18 June 1792]
"George III (three-quarter length) stands in profile to the left, nearsightedly examining an oval miniature of Oliver Cromwell by the light of a candle held in his left hand. The half length, looking to the right, in armour, probably derives from the pl. after Cooper in Mechell's ed. of Rapin's 'History', 1733. The candlestick is of massive plate holding a candle-end supported on a save-all (cf. BMSat 8091). The King is only slightly caricatured, but his receding forehead and chin and open mouth are exaggerated."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title from text below image.
- 1 print : stipple engraving with etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 35 x 25 cm, on sheet 37 x 27 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1792.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Cromwell, Oliver,--1599-1658--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--III,--King of Great Britain,--1738-1820--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 8107
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 148
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)