French liberty [graphic] ; British slavery / Js. Gy. desn. et fect. pro bono publico.
- French liberty [graphic] ; British slavery / Js. Gy. desn. et fect. pro bono publico.
- Alternative Title
- British slavery
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [21 December 1792]
- Design in two compartments contrasting on the left the poverty and depravity of "French Liberty" with the opulence of the British on the right "British Slavery." The thin, ragged sansculotte with a liberty cap on his head, warms his bare, talon-like feet before a fire, while eating his dinner of raw onions. Behind him snails overflow his chamber pot; above the fireplace a "Map of French Conquests". At his feet a sword lies across a violin like a bow. He extolls the virtues of the National Assembly and new won liberties. In contrast on the right, an obese, red-faced Englishman sits in a luxurious room before a table laden with a tankard of hock and a large joint of beef. His shoes are slashed to relieve his bloated, gouty feet. A gold statute of Britannia adorns the wall above him. He curses his ministry for imposing taxes and starving the British people.
Title etched below image.
Two images on one plate.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.8 x 35.0 cm, on sheet 30 x 48 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1792.
- Subject (Geographic)
- France--History--Revolution, 1789-1799.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Subject (Topic)
Britannia (Symbolic character)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 8145 and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 154
- Orbis Record