The storm rising, or, The republican flotilla in danger [graphic] / Js. Gy. inv. & ft.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > The storm rising, or, The republican flotilla in danger [graphic] / Js. Gy. inv. & ft.
- The storm rising, or, The republican flotilla in danger [graphic] / Js. Gy. inv. & ft.
- Alternative Title
- Republican flotilla in danger
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [1 February 1798]
"The windlass (right) is turned by Bedford, in profile to the left, Fox, in back view but looking to the raft (left), Sheridan, in profile to the right, and Tierney, coming towards the spectator. From Bedford's pocket hangs a paper: '£1400 Fined, for False Entry of Servants'. All are running, but it is clear that huge waves raised by Pitt will swamp the raft before it reaches shore. All wear coats except Fox, whose coat lies on the ground beside a paper: 'List of the New Republican Ministry. Citizen Volpone, Premier..'.. Fox's shirt is tattered, his hair is tied by a tricolour ribbon. Pitt's profile emerges from clouds in the upper (right) corner; his blast spreads as it reaches the raft, developing into flashes of lightning ..."--British Museum online catalogue.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 27.9 x 67.1 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 4
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1798.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Bedford, Francis Russell,--Duke of,--1765-1802--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Gillray, James, 1756-1815, artist.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Pitt, William,--1759-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Sheridan, Richard Brinsley,--1751-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Tierney, George,--1761-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9167
Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 175
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 234
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)