Le boureau [graphic] / Js. Gy. d. & ft.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Le boureau [graphic] / Js. Gy. d. & ft.
- Le boureau [graphic] / Js. Gy. d. & ft.
- Alternative Title
French habits ; no. 6
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Tierney, George,--1761-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Copyright Date
- [18 April 1798]
"Tierney (right), directed to the left, stands on a scaffold beside a guillotine, on which his right hand rests. He wears a round hat with a red feather and small tricolour cockade, a black cloak, below which appear his own striped stockings and half-boots. The blade of the guillotine is raised; it drips blood, as does the aperture for the victim's neck. Behind, the heads of a crowd, all wearing the bonnet-rouge, look up at the scaffold. On the right is a house."--British Museum online catalogue.
Sixth plate in the series "French habits." First plate in the series has series title "Habits of new French legislators and other public functionaries."
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching wtih stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 25 x 20 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 4
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9201
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 239
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)