Sir Samuel House [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Sir Samuel House [graphic].
- Sir Samuel House [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1781 July 12
- Copyright Date
- [12 July 1781]
- Publication Place
- C. Knight, Berwick Street
"Portrait (whole-length) of Sam House seated in an arm-chair, a wineglass in his right hand, his left hand on his hip. At his right side, on a small rectangular table, is a punch-bowl inscribed "Fox for eve[r]". He is in his well-known dress, see BMSat 5696, &c, and wears ungartered stockings."--British Museum online catalogue.
Attributed to Gillray in the British Museum catalogue. Also attributed to Charles Knight; see British Museum online catalogue.
Text below title: Libertas et natule [sic] solum.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : stipple engraving & aquatint with etching on laid paper, à la poupée ; plate mark 22.7 x 18.0 cm, on sheet 23.3 x 18.3 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
A la poupée prints--England--London--1781.
Satires (Visual works)--England--1781.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
House, Samuel,--d. 1785--Caricatures and cartoons.
Knight, Charles, 1743-1827?, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5, no. 5876
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 32
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)