The constant couple [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > The constant couple [graphic].
- The constant couple [graphic].
- Mansell, William, 1750-1820, attributed name.
- Published / Created
- 1786 February 24
- Copyright Date
- [24 February 1786]
- Publication Place
- J. Phillips, No. 164 Piccadilly
"George III, dressed like a farmer, rides a sorry horse towards Windsor. Queen Charlotte sits pillion behind him like a farmer's wife; he is in profile, she full-face, both feet in a wide stirrup or platform. He points awkwardly with his stick towards Windsor. A dog walks before them, its collar inscribed 'G.R. Windsor Castle' (left) is among trees; a signpost (left) points 'To Windsor' and 'To Slough'. On the extreme right is a milestone, 'XX Miles from St James's'."--British Museum online catalogue.
For another state see Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6918.
Possibly by: W. Mansell, Conrad Martin or Gillray. See British Museum catalogue.
Proof? Without artist's initials and date in lower left corner as in other impressions.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
The title is an allusion to George Farquhar's Constant Couple.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching & engraving with stipple, hand-colored ; sheet 24.5 x 35.8 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1786.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Charlotte,--consort of George III, King of Great Britain,--1744-1818--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--III,--King of Great Britain,--1738-1820--Caricatures and cartoons.
Phillips, James, active 1786-1809, publisher.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)