La derniere ressource, or, Van-Buchells garters [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > La derniere ressource, or, Van-Buchells garters [graphic].
- La derniere ressource, or, Van-Buchells garters [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Van-Buchells garters
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1791 October 3
- Copyright Date
- [3 October 1791]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, No. 18 Old Bond Street
"The enormously fat Mrs. Hobart sits in profile to the left in a small armchair, her right foot on a stool, her leg exposed. She places round its grotesque girth a ribbon garter, the central part of which is stiffened by a spring. Perched on her hair is a small straw hat with a high silk crown from which a veil hangs down her back. On the wall behind her is a picture: 'Nina', a small thin man kneels before the stout and terrified Nina (who believes him to be the ghost of her lover)."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 26 x 18 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 8
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1791.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Buckinghamshire, Albinia Hobart,--Countess of,--1738-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7974
Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 384
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 136
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)