The witty wine merchant [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > The witty wine merchant [graphic].
- The witty wine merchant [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Caleb curious
- Cruikshank, Isaac, 1756?-1811?, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1792 June 31
- Copyright Date
- [11 June 1792]
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, No. 3 Piccadilly
"A thin man stands in profile to the left, in the corner of a picture-gallery, inspecting through a glass a picture of a nude and buxom nymph or Venus. He holds a long cane and a 'Catalogue of Paintings'. He has a long pigtail queue and wears a cocked hat. Three other pictures are visible, all of nude women in the manner (burlesqued) of 'high art'."--British Museum online catalogue, description of a later state of the same composition.
Early state, before addition of the title "Caleb curious" above image. Cf. No. 8169 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6.
One line of text below title: Ay he will wholesale you new wine, and anon retail you old wit. Shakespier.
Printmaker from description of later state in the British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.0 x 18.8 cm, on sheet 26.1 x 19.7 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 8
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)