Enter Cowslip with a bowl of cream [graphic] : vide Brandenburg Theatricals / Js. Gy. desn. et fect.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Enter Cowslip with a bowl of cream [graphic] : vide Brandenburg Theatricals / Js. Gy. desn. et fect.
- Enter Cowslip with a bowl of cream [graphic] : vide Brandenburg Theatricals / Js. Gy. desn. et fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1795 June 13
- Copyright Date
- [13 June 1795]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, No. 37 New Bond Street
"An enormously fat lady stands in profile to the left, holding a bowl (resembling a punch-bowl), her left hand on her hip, holding up the frilled apron which drapes her quilted petticoat. She wears ringlets with a small ribbon-trimmed straw hat poised on the side of her head. Her girth is accentuated by her quasi-peasant costume, with laced bodice, and flowered over-dress looped up in festoons, giving her a globular contour. ..."--British Museum online catalogue.
Four lines of quoted verse in two columns below title: "As a cedar tall & slender; "sweet Cowslip's grace "is her nom'tive case, "and she's of the feminine gender."
One line of quoted text within lower border of image: "Ay, here's the masculine to the feminine gender."
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 35 x 34.6 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 8
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1795.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Buckinghamshire, Albinia Hobart,--Countess of,--1738-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8721
Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 403
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 196
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)