A modern belle going to the rooms at Bath [graphic].
- A modern belle going to the rooms at Bath [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1796 January 13
- Copyright Date
- [13 January 1796]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "Two chairmen carry (left to right) a lady in a sedan chair. The roof is raised and through it projects an enormous ostrich feather, rising from an aigrette and curls, which also extend above the roof. To the second chairman's back is strapped the base of a long curving rod which supports an umbrella to protect the feather. Through the window of the chair appears the lady's profile. She holds a half-closed fan before her face. Behind (left) is a plain town house of three stories behind its area-railings; it is next a high curving wall (right). Probably from a design by an amateur."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 35 x 25 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8895, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 414, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 209
- Orbis Record