A philosopher [graphic] : Conduit Street / X.
- A philosopher [graphic] : Conduit Street / X.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1796 March 28
- Copyright Date
- [28 March 1796]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, No. 37 New Bond Street
- "An elderly man displays scientific experiments. He stoops forward, in profile to the left, holding a rod horizontally between his fingers, in the left hand is a glass. A small still, phials, &c, and an elaborate appliance (right) are on the long table behind which he stands. On the wall are two medallion profile-portraits, one (left) being that of Priestley. A serpent, a scroll with cabalistic signs, a terrestrial globe on a bracket, are also on the wall, which is lit by a single candle with a curiously shaped reflector."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker identified as Gillray in the British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 23 x 18 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1796.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Priestley, Joseph,--1733-1804--Caricatures and cartoons.
Walker, A.--(Adam),--1730 or 1731-1821--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Subject (Topic)
- Clothing & dress--England--1790-1800.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8887
- Orbis Record