Philanthropic consolations after the loss of the slave-bill [graphic].
- Philanthropic consolations after the loss of the slave-bill [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1796 April 4
- Copyright Date
- pubd. April 4th, 1796.
- Publication Place
- "Wilberforce and Bishop Horsley revel indecorously with two negresses. Wilberforce and a fat negress face each other sitting cross-legged on the bolsters at opposite ends of a settee; both smoke cheroots. The negress wears a large straw hat over her turban, her breasts are uncovered. On the ground by Wilberforce is a torn pamphlet: 'Tryal of. . . & . . . [names illegible] convicted of Perjury in the case of Captn Kimber'. On the right the fat bishop embraces a negress who is poised on his knee, holding up a wine-glass. Behind him and on the extreme right is a table on which are books: 'Rochesters Jests', 'Charity covereth a Multitude of Sins' (open), 'Humanity a Masque', 'Mathematick', 'Ghost of Clarence', and a paper: 'Defence of Orthodoxy, better late than never'. Both women wear loose patterned dresses. A little grinning black boy (left) brings in a tray of filled glasses. The room is well furnished with a patterned carpet. On the wall are four pictures and a candle-sconce. Above the door appears the lower part of a picture of a man seated on the ground: 'Captn Kimber in the Cells of Newgate'. Above Wilberforce's head is a picture, 'Inkle & Yarico': Inkle discovers Yarico, a negress, reclining under a palm tree in a mountainous landscape. (For Colman's opera, 1787, cf. BMSat 7260.) Above Horsley's head is a picture of a stage-coach driving right to left; a fat bishop (almost recognizable) looks out of the window to inspect the legs of an outside passenger which dangle from the roof. On the extreme right is a picture of 'Westminster Abbey'."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 25.7 x 36.1 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8793
- Orbis Record