My Poll & my partner Joe [graphic] / Js. Gy. delt. ; T. Adams sc.
- My Poll & my partner Joe [graphic] / Js. Gy. delt. ; T. Adams sc.
- Alternative Title
- My Poll and my partner Joe
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1796 April 18
- Copyright Date
- [18 April 1796]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "A sailor (right) and a fat, ugly, disreputable woman (left) dance with tipsy joviality. They face each other, each holding the other's left hand. He holds up a small covered jug (holding the publican's dram). Her feet appear through tattered shoes and stockings; one eye is closed. He wears a round hat, pigtail, short jacket, petticoat, and long striped stockings."--British Museum online catalogue.
Illustration to a popular song by Charles Dibdin: The waterman.
Thomas Adams is one of the pseudonyms used by Gillray.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : stipple engraving with etching, hand-colored ; sheet 28 x 32 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8907, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 420, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 210
- Orbis Record