Exaltation of Faro's daughters [graphic].
- Exaltation of Faro's daughters [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1796 May 12
- Copyright Date
- [12 May 1796]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "Lady Buckinghamshire (left) and Lady Archer (right) stand side by side in the pillory, heads and hands closely confined, their heads in profile to the right, weeping angrily. Both wear tall feathers in their hair and large pendent ear-rings. Lady Buckinghamshire is forced to stand painfully on tip-toe, a short petticoat exposes her fat legs. On the front of the platform is a placard: 'Cure for Gambling Publish'd by Lord Kenyon in the Court of Kings Bench on May 9th 1796'. This is raised above the (freely sketched) heads of the crowd, with grinning upturned faces in the foreground. Eggs, a cat, &c. fly through the air; the pillory and the dresses of the victims are bespattered. On the right is a house with spectators in the windows."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 36 x 26 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1796.
Watermarks (Paper)--J. Ruse--1799.--CtY-BR
- Subject (Name)
Archer, Sarah West,--Lady,--1741-1801--Caricatures and cartoons.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Buckinghamshire, Albinia Hobart,--Countess of,--1738-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8876, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 425, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 212
- Orbis Record