The Jersey smuggler detected, or, Good cause for seperation [sic] [graphic] : "Marriage vows are false as dicers oaths".
- The Jersey smuggler detected, or, Good cause for seperation [sic] [graphic] : "Marriage vows are false as dicers oaths".
- Alternative Title
- Good cause for discontent, Good cause for separation, and Good cause for seperation
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1796 May 24
- Copyright Date
- [24 May 1796]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "The Princess of Wales (left), candle in hand, approaches the bed of the Prince, who wakes up, raising his hands in dismay. Lady Jersey (here, an attractive woman, cf. BMSat 8811) is asleep, her head on the Prince's shoulder, her arms round his neck. The distressed Princess wears a coronet and triple ostrich plume, her right arm is flung back. Behind her (left) is an open door through which is seen the baby princess in a cradle ornamented with the Prince's feathers, with which his bed is also decorated. On the twisting draperies of the bed is the star of the Garter. Above the Princess's head hangs a 'Map of the Road back to Brunswick'."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image; the word "seperation" has been scored through and the word "discontent" inserted above it using a caret.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 26 x 37 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1796.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Caroline,--Queen, consort of George IV, King of Great Britain,--1768-1821--Caricatures and cartoons.
Charlotte Augusta,--Princess of Great Britain,--1796-1817--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1762-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Jersey, Frances Villiers,--Countess of,--1753-1821--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8806 and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 208
- Orbis Record