The Grand-Signior retiring [graphic] / Js. Gy. d. et f.
- The Grand-Signior retiring [graphic] / Js. Gy. d. et f.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1796 May 25
- Copyright Date
- [25 May 1796]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "The Prince of Wales, very fat and pompous, in night-cap, dressing-gown, and slippers, walks in profile along a corridor leading from his own door (right), above which are his coronet and feathers, towards that of Lady Jersey, which is wide open and reveals its occupant holding apart the bed-curtains with a gap-toothed grin. Lord Jersey, dwarfish, shambling, and elderly, dressed in nightcap and night-shirt (on which is a 'J' with a coronet), stands by the door, holding a candle and pointing to the bed; he raises his night-cap deferentially to the Prince, who says, with contemptuous arrogance, 'va-t-en' (see BMSat 8809). The Prince walks on a fringed strip of carpet. On the open door behind Lord Jersey is 'A [torn] Map of the Road into the Harbour of Jer[sey]'; the islands of 'Guernsey, Alderney, Sark and [Je]rsey' are depicted, with a route leading to Jersey (cf. BMSat 8810)."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 25 x 34 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1796.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
George--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1762-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Jersey, Frances Villiers,--Countess of,--1753-1821--Caricatures and cartoons.
Jersey, George Bussey Villiers,--Earl of,--1735-1805--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8807 and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 208
- Orbis Record