The odd trick, or, Nunkee gaining the honors [graphic] / Thos. Humphrey des. et fect.
- The odd trick, or, Nunkee gaining the honors [graphic] / Thos. Humphrey des. et fect.
- Alternative Title
- Nunkee gaining the honors
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1796 June 16
- Copyright Date
- [16 June 1796]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "A game of cards at a round table in which Lord Jersey (left) and Mrs. Fitzherbert (right) face each other in profile. Lady Jersey sits full-face, her head turned in profile towards her husband and lover: the Prince has left his place (indicated by a stool decorated with his feathers) as Lady Jersey's partner to stand behind Lord Jersey, his hands resting on his head, forefingers raised to form horns as in BMSats 8809, 8811. Lady Jersey has taken seven tricks; her husband has laid on the table before him the ace and three court cards. All the players raise their hands in surprise. The Prince wears his Light Horse uniform (cf. BMSat 8800), his eyes being concealed by his helmet as in BMSat 8811. Lady Jersey wears three tall feathers in her hair, a locket inscribed 'J' hangs from her neck. The fatness of the Prince and Mrs. Fitzherbert contrasts with the leanness of the other two. A candle-sconce is on the wall."--British Museum online catalogue.
Thomas Humphrey is one of the pseudonyms used by Gillray. See British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 22 x 28 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1796.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Fitzherbert, Maria Anne,--1756-1837--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1762-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Jersey, Frances Villiers,--Countess of,--1753-1821--Caricatures and cartoons.
Jersey, George Bussey Villiers,--Earl of,--1735-1805--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8816
- Orbis Record