Enchantments lately seen upon the mountains of Wales, or, Shon-ap-Morgan's reconcilement to the fairy princess [graphic] / Js. Gy. des. et fect.
- Enchantments lately seen upon the mountains of Wales, or, Shon-ap-Morgan's reconcilement to the fairy princess [graphic] / Js. Gy. des. et fect.
- Alternative Title
- Shon-ap-Morgan's reconcilement to the fairy princess
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1796 June 30
- Copyright Date
- [30 June 1796]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "On a small plateau on the top of a mountain the Princess of Wales (left) reaches up to kiss the Prince of Wales (right), who has the body, horns, and beard of a fat goat. He kneels on one knee, his forelegs round her waist; her arms are round his neck. A star and ribbon are indicated on his body. She wears her coronet with three tall feathers, and her draperies swirl about her. In the middle distance are two rocky pinnacles; on one (left) three men dance hand in hand: Loughborough in back view wearing his Chancellor's wig and gown, the Duke of York wearing a cocked hat and his star, and Lord Cholmondeley. From the other, Lady Jersey (with the arms and legs of a goat) staggers backwards, she has horns, and three feathers fall from her head. Lord Jersey, with the body of a goat and long horns, is about to fall. They are being hurled from the rock by thunderbolts inscribed with the words 'What? - What? - What?' (the King's well-known phrase) which issue from heavy clouds, showing that it is the King who has overthrown them. Behind them is the sea with a small island flying a flag inscribed 'Jersey'."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.8 x 34.9 cm, on sheet 31 x 49 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1796.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Caroline,--Queen, consort of George IV, King of Great Britain,--1768-1821--Caricatures and cartoons.
Cholmondeley, George James Cholmondeley,--Marquess of,--1749-1827
Frederick Augustus,--Duke of York and Albany,--1763-1827--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1762-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Jersey, Frances Villiers,--Countess of,--1753-1821--Caricatures and cartoons.
Jersey, George Bussey Villiers,--Earl of,--1735-1805--Caricatures and cartoons.
Rosslyn, Alexander Wedderburn,--Earl of,--1733-1805--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8818 and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 208
- Orbis Record