The orangerie, or, The Dutch Cupid reposing after the fatigues of planting [graphic] : vide the visions in Hampton Bower / Js. Gy. inv. et fect.
- The orangerie, or, The Dutch Cupid reposing after the fatigues of planting [graphic] : vide the visions in Hampton Bower / Js. Gy. inv. et fect.
- Alternative Title
- Dutch Cupid reposing after the fatigues of planting
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1796 September 16
- Copyright Date
- [16 September 1796]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "William V of Orange, a naked fat Cupid, lies on his back asleep on a low plateau of grass sprinkled with flowers. He clasps a spade in his folded hands; his shoulders rest against two large money-bags, padlocked and inscribed '24,000,000 Ducats'. He has been planting orange-trees, and these surround him, of varying sizes, in pots and in tubs; the oranges are the heads of infants, all with his own features. Dream-figures float towards him on clouds, all women in an advanced state of pregnancy. Behind him (left) floats a milk-woman, her yoke across her shoulders, her pail on her head. Next advances, full-face, a fat Billingsgate woman, her basket of fish on her head. These two appear to be shouting at the sleeping Cupid. From the right approaches a housemaid carrying a mop; behind her three haymakers, holding rake or pitchfork, approach together, followed by serried ranks of country women all wearing straw hats."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 25.5 x 35.6 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8822
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 212
- Orbis Record