For improving the breed [graphic].
- For improving the breed [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Sketch'd at Wirtemberg
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1796 October 24
- Copyright Date
- [24 October 1796]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "A later state with the same inscriptions. The contour of the Prince is altered: he is very obese, his head bulges slightly at the back, and his legs are thicker. The position of his right hand is altered."--British Museum online catalogue and "A whole length portrait of the corpulent Prince Frederick William Charles of Wurtemberg, standing 'chapeau-bras' in profile to the right, wearing a ribbon; his right hand on his waistcoat, his left on the hilt of his sword. He has a very heavy double chin, thick lips, staring eye, high narrow head, and an expression of good-natured surprise."--British Museum online catalogue, description of an earlier state of similar composition.
Later state, with changes to the plate. Cf. No. 8827 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched at top of image.
- 1 print : stipple engraving & etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 24 x 17 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- [Later state with alterations to the subject's figure].
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1796.
Watermarks (Paper)--J Whatman.--CtY-LW
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Frederick--I,--King of Württemberg,--1754-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8827A, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 408, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 214
- Orbis Record