The Arch-duke [graphic] / drawn from life by Lieut. Swarts of the Imperial Regt. of Barco Hussars.
- The Arch-duke [graphic] / drawn from life by Lieut. Swarts of the Imperial Regt. of Barco Hussars.
- Alternative Title
- Published / Created
- 1796 November 15
- Copyright Date
- [15 November 1796]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "The Archduke Charles of Austria, directing military operations, stands on a bluff in profile to the left, right arm extended, his left hand rests on his sword. He wears laced coat and waistcoat, with a star, and spurred jack-boots. He has a long pigtail queue; in his enormous cocked hat, one point of which hangs before his face, the other over his shoulders, is an olive-branch. In the background clouds of smoke rise from an invisible battle."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 36 x 25 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1796.
Watermarks (Paper)--J. Whatman--1808.--CtY-BR
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Charles,--Archduke of Austria,--1771-1847--Portraits.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8835, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 411, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 214
- Orbis Record