The lion's share [graphic] / X.
- The lion's share [graphic] / X.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1797 January 2
- Copyright Date
- [2 January 1797]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "Sir John Jervis sits in profile to the right at a table; his left hand clutches a pile of guineas, his right fist is raised to emphasize his words which are etched below the title: 'Phaedrus: - "The first Share is mine, because, I bore my part in killing the Prey; - the Second falls to my Lot, because I am King of the Beasts; - & if any one presumes to touch the Third!!!' The table is inscribed 'Unclaimed Dividends'; on it is a book: 'Hints on St Eustatia Prize Money'. On the carpeted floor lie torn papers:  'Petition of Widow of ... . praying for payment of her Husbands dividend.'  'Humble Petition of John lost a Leg in the Battle ...'  'Starving for want of Just dividend,'  'Petition of Major. . . who lost is [?] Beauty', and others which are illegible. On the wall which forms a background is an oval picture of 'Thieves dividing the Spoil', in the centre of four oblong prints:  Two bodies hanging from a gallows inscribed 'Peculation \ Tyburn';  a map of 'St Vincents';  'Loaves & Fishes';  a map of 'Martinico' showing 'Fort Bourbon'. Jervis wears admiral's uniform with a cocked hat and jack-boots."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker identified as Gillray in the British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; sheet 35 x 25 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8978, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 161, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 226
- Orbis Record