"The feast of reason & the flow of soul", i.e., The wits of the age setting the table in a roar [graphic] / Js. Gy. inv. & fect.
- "The feast of reason & the flow of soul", i.e., The wits of the age setting the table in a roar [graphic] / Js. Gy. inv. & fect.
- Alternative Title
- Feast of reason and the flow of soul and Wits of the age setting the table in a roar
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1797 February 4
- Copyright Date
- [4 February 1797]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
- "Courtenay (right), as the chairman of a tavern club, sits at the head of an oblong table, in profile to the left, smoking. He says to George Hanger, who faces him at the foot of the table: "I say, Georgey how do Things look now?" The words issue from his mouth in a cloud of smoke. Hanger answers: "Ax my Grandmother's Muff, pray do!" He holds a pipe, his wine-glass is overturned. His bludgeon is thrust in his top-boot. On Hanger's right sits Fox, leaning back in his chair, registering extravagant amusement and saying "O charming! - charming!" Opposite Fox sits Sheridan, clasping a decanter of 'Brandy' in one hand, a glass in the other. He says, with a sly smile, "Excellent! - damme Georgey, Excellent." Next him, and on Courtenay's right, sits M. A. Taylor, flourishing his pipe and saying, "Bravo! the best Thing I ever heard said, damme." On the table are decanters of 'Mum' and of 'Champaig[n]'. Above Courtenay's head is a picture of a simian creature in a cap of Liberty, squatting on the ground and smoking a pipe. The frame is inscribed 'Juvenal'. The floor is carpeted, the chairs are ornate."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper ; plate mark 24.7 x 35.5 cm, on sheet 28 x 38 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1797.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Courtenay, John,--1738-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Hanger, George,--1751?-1824--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Sheridan, Richard Brinsley,--1751-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Taylor, Michael Angelo,--1757-1834--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8984 and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 226
- Orbis Record