Discipline à la Kenyon [graphic] / Js. Gy. inv. & fect.
- Discipline à la Kenyon [graphic] / Js. Gy. inv. & fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1797 March 25
- Copyright Date
- [25 March 1797]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street & St. James's Street
- "Lord Kenyon (left), in wig and robes, flogs with great vigour the scarred back of Lady Buckinghamshire, whose wrists are tied to the back of a cart. He has a scourge in the right hand, a birch-rod in the left; from his pocket issues a paper: 'Laws against Gambling'. His head is in back view. His fat victim wears a feathered turban and fashionably dressed hair; her profile and gestures indicate shrieking protest. The horse plods (left to right) away from the spectator. On a pitchfork lashed to the cart is a placard: 'Faro's Daughter's Beware'. Behind is a crowd, divided between those (right) who watch the cart, grinning, in front of whom stands a constable with his staff, and those in back view who surround a pillory in which stand two ladies, closely confined, under a rain of missiles flung by the mob. Both wear feathers in their hair, one (left) has a profile somewhat resembling that of Lady Archer, but is perhaps Lady Elizabeth Luttrell; the other is probably Mrs. Concannon."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched at bottom of image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 27 x 36 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1797.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Buckinghamshire, Albinia Hobart,--Countess of,--1738-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Kenyon, Lloyd Kenyon,--Baron,--1732-1802--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9079, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 424, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 227
- Orbis Record