La promenade en famille [graphic] : a sketch from life / Js. Gy. ad vivam fect.
- La promenade en famille [graphic] : a sketch from life / Js. Gy. ad vivam fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1797 April 23
- Copyright Date
- [23 April 1797]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphrey, New Bond Street & St. James's Street
- "The Duke of Clarence drags his three children (left to right) in a go-cart. His waistcoat is open, a handkerchief under his hat drapes his head, perspiration pours from his forehead. The boy, an infant replica of his father, holds a pair of reins which are attached to the duke's pocket, and flourishes a whip. Beside him are a little girl hugging a dog, which hides her face except for the eyes, and a crying infant whose features, though infantine, are those of her father. The crest on the cart is a chamber-pot (cf. BMSat 7835, &c.) surmounted by a crown. From the duke's pockets project a toy battleship, a coral and bells, a toy windmill, and a doll. Mrs. Jordan, in a dress of masculine cut, walks beside the cart, intent on the part which she is studying from an open book ('The Spoil'd Child', see BMSat 7835): 'Act IIId enter Little Pickle'. A signpost (right) points (left) 'From Richmond', (right) 'To Bushy'. A sandy bank with trees forms a background."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 66 x 37 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1797.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Jordan, Dorothy,--1761-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Munster, George Augustus Frederick FitzClarence,--Earl of,--1794-1842--Caricatures and cartoons.
William--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1765-1837--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Subject (Topic)
Strollers (Baby carriages).
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9009, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 176, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 224
- Orbis Record