The marriage of Cupid & Psyche [graphic] / Js. Gy. fect. from [the] antique.
- The marriage of Cupid & Psyche [graphic] / Js. Gy. fect. from [the] antique.
- Alternative Title
- Marriage of Cupid and Psyche
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1797 May 3
- Copyright Date
- [3 May 1797]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, 27 St. James's Street
- "Design in an oval. A travesty of the cameo known as the Marlborough Gem, now in the Museum of Fine Arts at Boston. The figures are light on a dark ground, as in the original. Miss Farren, tall, thin, with butterfly wings, her dress approximating to contemporary fashion, walks (left to right) on Lord Derby's left. He has the wings of Cupid, clipped, and is almost nude, with the fat limbs of a child together with a heavy paunch. He holds a dove, putting its beak to his lips. His scanty hair is in a small tail. Both are veiled. They are preceded by two winged boys, one with the torch of Hymen. A third follows, wearing a fool's cap simulating a cap of Liberty; he holds up an earl's coronet towards the bride, in place of the tray of fruit of the original."--British Museum online catalogue.
A parody of Bartolozzi's engraving of the Marlborough Gem.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : aquatint & etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 26.3 x 36.3 cm, on sheet 29 x 36.3 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1797.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Bartolozzi, Francesco, 1727-1815, artist.
Derby, Edward Smith Stanley,--Earl of,--1752-1834--Caricatures and cartoons.
Derby, Elizabeth Farren Stanley,--Countess of,--1759 or 62-1829--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9076, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 432, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 229
- Orbis Record