Hero's recruiting at Kelsey's, or, Guard-Day at St. James's [graphic] / Js. Gy. ad vivam fect.
- Hero's recruiting at Kelsey's, or, Guard-Day at St. James's [graphic] / Js. Gy. ad vivam fect.
- Alternative Title
- Guard Day at St. James's
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1797 June 9
- Copyright Date
- [9 June 1797]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, St. James's Street
- "Two officers on high stools face each other at the counter of a fruit-shop and confectioner's. One (right), tall, lank, and elderly (identified as Captain Birch, see BMSat 9037), devours a jelly; empty jelly-glasses strew the counter beside him. The other, a mere child, his legs dangling, eats from a large cornet of 'Sugar-plumbs'. A buxom woman behind the counter brings a tray of jellies in glasses. In the doorway (right) a third officer, extremely fat and grotesquely knock-kneed, stands with his hands clasped behind him watching a coroneted coach driving past with two footmen in feathered hats standing behind. The officers wear large plumed cocked hats, spurred jack-boots, and sabres. Each pane of the large shop window (left) is decoratively filled with fruit, jars, jelly-glasses, &c. A pottle of strawberries and a partly peeled orange lie on the floor."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 37 x 27 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9068, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 434, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 230
- Orbis Record