The salute [graphic] : vide the parade / Js. Gy. d. & fect. ad vivm.
- The salute [graphic] : vide the parade / Js. Gy. d. & fect. ad vivm.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1797 July 10
- Copyright Date
- [10 July 1797]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, 27 St. James's Street
- "An officer (left) on a charger, evidently General Davies, see BMSat 9442, directed to the right, takes the salute from three officers who march (right to left) past him. The first, sabre in hand, point downwards, holds his left hand across the front of his high cocked hat. A young officer follows, carrying a standard of the Union flag with the White Horse of Hanover and a crown. The third marches with almost closed eyes and sword held point upwards. A crowd of amused spectators backed by a high wall forms a background."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 27 x 37 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1797.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Davies, Thomas,--approximately 1737-1812--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9069, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 442, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 231
- Orbis Record