Operatical reform, or, La dance a l'eveque [graphic].
- Operatical reform, or, La dance a l'eveque [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Dance a l'eveque
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1798 March 14
- Copyright Date
- [14 March 1798]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, St. James's Street
- "Three opera dancers, holding a garland of roses, are dressed alike in short transparent petticoats partly covered by a shorter apron. The centre dancer holds out her left leg horizontally . Mme Rose [Parisot] is in back view, her sharp features in profile to the right. On each side of the stage is a column on the plinth of which stands a figure: (left) a satyr holding a mask; (right) a woman wearing a clumsy undergarment, in the attitude of the Venus dei Medici. In front of the stage are the musical instruments of the orchestra, including a violin on which is a cap perhaps intended for a bonnet-rouge. ..."--British Museum online catalogue.
Four lines of verse in two columns below image: 'Tis hard for such new fangled orthodox rules, that our opera-troop should be blam'd ...
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image, in lower left.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 26 x 37 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1798.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Didelot, Marie Rose Paul,---1803--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Subject (Topic)
Operas & operettas.
Satyrs (Greek mythology)--depicted
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9298, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 448, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 253
- Orbis Record