"Gentle manners, with affections mild, "in wit a man, simplicity a child [graphic].
- "Gentle manners, with affections mild, "in wit a man, simplicity a child [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1798 November 4
- Copyright Date
- [4 November 1798]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, St. James's Street
- "General Manners walks in profile to the left, with knees flexed, bending forward, his hands clasped behind his back, a cane under his arm. He wears a round hat, small pigtail, and plain, old-fashioned dress."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 26 x 17 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1798.
Watermarks (Paper)--J Whatman.--CtY-LW
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Manners, Robert,--1758-1832--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9288 and Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 465
- Orbis Record