A man of importance [graphic] / Js. Gillray ad vivam fect.
- A man of importance [graphic] / Js. Gillray ad vivam fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1799 May 16
- Copyright Date
- [16 May 1799]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, 27 St. James's Street
- "Lord Moira, rigid and impassive, stands in profile to the left, right hand on his tasselled stick, left hand on hip, wearing quasi-military dress with looped cocked hat and high boots. Clouds, so coloured as to suggest a distant conflagration, and a low horizon, curved as if to indicate the edge of the globe, form a background. ..."--British Museum online catalogue.
Seven lines of quoted verse below image in two columns, one on either side of title: "Ne'er may his whiskers loose their hue, "chang'd (like Moll Coggin's tail) to blue! ... vide Anti-Jacobin.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 36 x 26 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1799.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Hastings, Francis Rawdon-Hastings,--Marquess of,--1754-1826--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9386, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 239, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 263
- Orbis Record