Field-Marshall Count Suwarrow-Romniskoy [graphic] / etch'd by Js. Gillray from the original drawing taken from life by Lieutn. Swarts of the Imperial Regiment of Barco Hussars.
- Field-Marshall Count Suwarrow-Romniskoy [graphic] / etch'd by Js. Gillray from the original drawing taken from life by Lieutn. Swarts of the Imperial Regiment of Barco Hussars.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1799 May 23
- Copyright Date
- [23 May 1799]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, 27 St. James's Street
- "Whole length caricature portrait. Suvóroff stands gazing into space with fierce melancholy, right hand on the hilt of a sabre dripping with blood, left hand on his hip. He has Kalmuck features, a bald head with a sabre-cut, moustaches. He wears a fur-bordered tunic and fur-topped boots with heavy spurs; a fur-lined cloak hangs from his shoulders. A miniature is suspended from a button. The smoke from a burning town on the horizon (right) slants across the background. Beneath the title: '"This extraordinary Man is now in the prime of life, - Six Feet, Ten Inches in height; - never \ "tastes either Wine or Spirits; takes but one Meal a day; " & every Morning plunges into an Ice Bath; - \ "his Wardrobe consists of a plain Shirt, a White Waistcoat & Breeches, short Boots, & a Russian Cloak; \ "he wears no covering on his head either by day or night - when tired, he wraps himself up in \ "a Blanket & sleeps in the open air; - he has fought 29 pitched Battles, & been in 75 Engagements" - See Vienna Gazzette.'"--British Museum online catalogue.
The drawing is fictitious.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 35 x 24 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1799.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Suvorov, Aleksandr Vasilʹevich,--kni︠a︡zʹ Italiĭskiĭ,--1730-1800--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9390, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 240, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 259
- Orbis Record