"Elegance democratique" [graphic] : a sketch found near High-Wycombe / Js. Gillray invt. & fect.
- "Elegance democratique" [graphic] : a sketch found near High-Wycombe / Js. Gillray invt. & fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1799 July 8
- Copyright Date
- [8 July 1799]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, 27 St. James's Street
- "Lord Wycombe, scarcely caricatured, walks to the left, his head in profile, left hand on hip, right on a club-like walking-stick. His coat is curiously cut, his (striped) waistcoat longer and breeches shorter than the contemporary fashion. He wears a neck-cloth and shoes. His gait is slouching and his dress rather slovenly. Clouds form a background."--British Museum online catalogue.
One line of quoted text below title: "Whenever I wish to form a proper estimate of a mans mind, I observe his manners & dress." Lord Chesterfield.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 36.3 x 25.8 cm, on sheet 37 x 26 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1799.
Watermarks (Paper)--Edmeads & Co.--1811.--CtY-BR
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Lansdowne, John Henry Petty,--Marquess of,--1765-1809--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9438, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 504, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 266
- Orbis Record