Pen-etration [graphic] / Js. Gillray des. & ft.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Pen-etration [graphic] / Js. Gillray des. & ft.
- Pen-etration [graphic] / Js. Gillray des. & ft.
- Alternative Title
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Penn, John,--1760-1834--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Published / Created
- 1799 August 6
- Copyright Date
- [6 August 1799]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
"Caricature portrait of John Penn (1760-1834), miscellaneous writer and grandson of the founder of Pennsylvania. He stands in profile to the left, his feet splayed out, wearing a round hat, gloves, wrinkled Jean de Bry coat (see BMSat 9425), pantaloons tied above the ankles, and heelless slippers with spike toes. In his left hand is a cane. He has a vacant expression with gaping, fish-like mouth and receding chin. A flagged pavement, brick wall, and cast shadows form a background. The title continues: '- NB; This Title has no affinity to Pen, as connected with the Goose-Quill; nor has it any allusion to Penguin, a stupid creature between a Fish & a Fowl; - the word is simply derived from Pen, as the Instrument used to express the deep researches of the mind; see the St James's Street chitchat - respecting a Keen Pen; - a Witty Pen; - & a Pen, often Cut, but never mended.'"--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 26 x 20 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9441
Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 470
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 266
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)