The magnanimous ally [graphic] : painted at Petersburg.
- The magnanimous ally [graphic] : painted at Petersburg.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1801 January 20
- Copyright Date
- [20 January 1799]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "The tattered flag ('Vive l'Egalité), on which stands Paul, grotesque, mean, and arrogant, has been altered to a torn paper: 'Treaty of Alliance'. The background is the sea with on the horizon (right) a castellated Malta flying the British flag. Above the design: 'Mens turpe [sic], Corpore turpi.'"--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Reissue, with alterations, of a print originally published 17 September 1799. Cf. No. 9415 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 34.2 x 25.9 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 9700, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 256, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 273
- Orbis Record