Napper Tandy [graphic] : taken from life in Newgate, Novemr. 2d, 1799 / Js. Gillray del. & fect.
- Napper Tandy [graphic] : taken from life in Newgate, Novemr. 2d, 1799 / Js. Gillray del. & fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1799 November 8
- Copyright Date
- [8 November 1799]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A bust portrait of Tandy (1740-1803) looking to the left. He wears the double-breasted, high-collared coat of a French officer, with epaulettes. He looks a sick man, his (white) hair is short and unkempt, his face deeply seamed; his drooping, bulbous nose and look of melancholy wariness give an impression of caricature, but the characterization appears to be excellent, cf. a portrait engraved by Heath after J. Petrie, published 1815."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 24 x 19 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1799.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Tandy, James Napper,--1740-1803--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9424
- Orbis Record