Waltzer au mouchoir [graphic].
- Waltzer au mouchoir [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1800 January 20
- Copyright Date
- [20 January 1800]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A couple dance in an assembly-room; the man, active and dishevelled, smaller than his immensely fat partner, holds the ends of a large spotted handkerchief, since it is impossible to grasp her waist. In the background are two other couples. A chandelier and a corner of the musicians' gallery with a man blowing a French horn complete the design."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Temporary local subject terms: Dancing -- Dances: waltz -- Interiors: ballroom -- Lighting: chandelier -- Architectural details: musicians' gallery -- Obesity -- Musical instruments: French horn.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 22.8 x 17.8 cm, on sheet 26 x 21 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9583, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 457, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 271
- Orbis Record