A prince of the old school [graphic] / Js. Gillray ad viv. fect.
- A prince of the old school [graphic] / Js. Gillray ad viv. fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1800 March 11
- Copyright Date
- [11 March 1800]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "An elderly man walks stiffly in profile to the right on a flagged pavement. Under his left arm he carries horizontally a large umbrella. In his (gloved) right hand is a glove. He wears a round hat, his straight coat is not of modern cut; his straight legs are engulfed in wide boots of Hessian pattern but not of fashionable shape. He wears whiskers with a small and neat side-curl and queue."--British Museum online catalogue.
Title engraved above image.
Two lines of quoted text below image: "There is an easiness of deportment and an elegance of indescribable debonair about the beaus of "the old school which would be ridiculous for the puppies of the day to think of imitating." Lord Chesterfield, Letters.
- 1 print : stipple engraving on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.3 x 19.7 cm, on sheet 26 x 20 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9558, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 469, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 270
- Orbis Record